Recently one of our interns presented the creative team with an ad layout that he was going to submit for a class. It featured a spread of eight pictures with copy at the bottom. He wanted our impression.
Instead of telling him, we took a sheet of paper and covered half of the pictures. The ad suddenly sprang to life. It now grabbed the reader and captured the imagination. It now had focus.
In today’s mobile-oriented, distraction-filled media environment, focus may be the most important consideration in creating effective communications.
People are bombarded with hundreds of competing messages every day. By and large, they tune them out. They skim. They skip. Even if they do engage with a communication, they are constantly evaluating if it’s worth their time. If your communication isn’t focused, your audience won’t be either, and they’ll shift their attention elsewhere.
Here are some tips to help you add focus to your communications:
1. Determine a single goal for your communication. Ask yourself, what is the goal of this communication? What do you want to achieve? How do you want people to respond? What do you want them to do? Write down possibilities. Then pick one and only one. Hitting one target is better than missing two.
2. Build your communication around that goal. Try working backwards. Ask yourself, what must be here to achieve the goal? What arguments do I need to make? What proof do I need? Eliminate anything that doesn’t help achieve the goal.
3. Lead people in and lead them out. Organize your communication so people know where the story begins and where it ends. Make sure the path from beginning to end is clear so they follow the story you want to tell.
4. Say less. Imply more. Allow people’s imaginations to take hold. Send them in the right direction and let them fill in the blanks. Emotions communicate more powerfully than facts.
5. Eliminate friction. Make sure you have ample white space to improve readability. Correct any misspellings. Use more verbs and fewer adverbs.
With more focus, your communications will be punching harder than ever.
September 4, 2018
Written by Tim Burr
In this week’s Marketing Insight, CEO Tom Sullivan shares some personal reflections on how to respond to today’s of… https://t.co/43WRKaYkI5
December 6 - 12:06 pm - View on Twitter
In this week’s Marketing Insight, Director of Brand Innovation, Manish Patel, discusses the impact of digital gamin… https://t.co/fYfSgLRRCk
November 29 - 11:09 am - View on Twitter
At PPI, we love all things spooky. Check out our Halloween Video for a creepy treat! https://t.co/tKQHPyuvpm
October 31 - 9:33 am - View on Twitter
In this week’s Marketing Insight, Director of Brand Innovation, Manish Patel, shares a personal anecdote that sheds… https://t.co/xc9uCVFHFK
October 11 - 1:50 pm - View on Twitter
CEO Tom Sullivan discusses several approaches for developing an informed, data-driven content strategy to boost the… https://t.co/0Nbz61DCd9
September 27 - 12:15 pm - View on Twitter
In this week's Marketing Insight, CEO Tom Sullivan continues to explore what we can learn from FAANG's Walled Garde… https://t.co/JeUvsfcDSb
September 19 - 11:30 am - View on Twitter
In this week's Marketing Insights, CEO Tom Sullivan discusses the Walled Garden approach that FAANG companies, and… https://t.co/vRDzMWoAs9
September 12 - 10:26 am - View on Twitter
In this week's Marketing Insights, Associate Creative Director, Tim Burr, discusses how a focused approach to marke… https://t.co/5loRgrFdUS
September 5 - 11:44 am - View on Twitter
Check out our last installment of our Voice "mini-camp" series where VP of Marketing and Media Strategy, Chris Sull… https://t.co/6yxEmeYu9G
August 30 - 10:13 am - View on Twitter
In our third Voice Marketing Insight, VP of Marketing & Media Strategy, Chris Sullivan, explores how marketers can… https://t.co/vjHPQEcWbe
August 16 - 10:50 am - View on Twitter
VP of Marketing & Media Strategy, Chris Sullivan, discusses the importance of persona development and Audio Identit… https://t.co/fYSbIZGLED
August 7 - 11:41 am - View on Twitter
In the first Insight of a "mini-camp" series on voice marketing, VP of Marketing & Media Strategy, Chris Sullivan,… https://t.co/tFgqjVh11C
July 31 - 2:05 pm - View on Twitter
CEO Tom Sullivan explores the recent succession of CEOs in the Fiat Chrysler Automotive and Ferrari families, and h… https://t.co/yIoeSKdhov
July 24 - 10:05 am - View on Twitter
Check out my latest #podcast https://t.co/eFFLCk7uYn on #Podbean
July 23 - 4:02 pm - View on Twitter
Check out my latest #podcast https://t.co/D9dl82LjkP on #Podbean
July 23 - 3:52 pm - View on Twitter
Check out my latest #podcast https://t.co/lP2wak0fVg on #Podbean
July 23 - 3:42 pm - View on Twitter
Check out my latest #podcast https://t.co/v4k2ukp4TA on #Podbean
July 23 - 3:42 pm - View on Twitter
Check out my latest #podcast https://t.co/WCKrgKaLbV on #Podbean
July 18 - 6:52 pm - View on Twitter
Happy #WorldEmojiDay! https://t.co/1NR4Vw2cZP
July 17 - 8:56 am - View on Twitter
As the 2018 FIFA World Cup comes to a close, CEO Tom Sullivan explores the impact of socially-charged marketing ini… https://t.co/uNn1JuCMaI
July 10 - 2:27 pm - View on Twitter